Q Step Summer Placement Scheme 2018
Building on the success of the Q Step placement scheme in 2015, 2016 and 2017, we are again offering a wide range of PAID summer research project placements across the social sciences and arts, humanities and cultures.
This year there are 30 placements available; made possible via the very generous support of LUBS Faculty and Q-steps project funding.
What can I gain from doing a Q Step placement?
The Placement scheme provides a great opportunity for undergraduate students and leading academics/research staff to benefit from collaboration on a live research project hosted within one of four Faculties or at one of our partner organisations.
• Placement salary of £1,200
• Working under the supervision of a research leader or a project leader at an external organisation
• Gaining a valuable insight into the research process and developing key research skills and potential
• Developing self-leadership and mini-project management skills.
• Reflecting on the value of their contribution and writing their research up
• Formal recognition of placement in the Leeds for Life Higher Education Achievement Record (HEAR)
Past placement students have presented their research findings at UK and international conferences and one of last year’s student’s recently showcased her placement work with the Department of Health in Parliament.
Read Fiona’s story here:Fiona Powell Case Study
See here FEEDBACK FROM 2015 to see what other previous placement students and project leaders said about their involvement in the scheme.
Students who are currently in their penultimate year, who have completed (or who are currently studying) Level 2 modules studying on programmes in the following Faculties:
• Arts, Humanities and Cultures
• Business School
• Education, Social Sciences and Law
• students in their second year of study who will go into their final year of UG study in 2018/19
• students who are currently doing a year in industry placement or study abroad year, in between their second and final years
• students who will be doing a year in industry placement or study year abroad in the next academic year, before returning to university for a final year of study in 2019/20
Each placement is 5-weeks duration, starting with a compulsory Research Methods training course on Monday 2nd – Friday 6th July 2018, followed by a 4 week placement on a research project during the summer break.
To apply you must be available to attend the full week training course on 2 – 6 July 2018.
Students may apply for ANY 3 PROJECTS from the projects listed on the next page ‘2018 Placement Projects’. Click each project title to see further details of the project.
Applications must be made via the on-line application form: https://xforms.leeds.ac.uk/forms/form/1102/en/q_step_summer_research_placements_2018
At this stage, please consider which projects are of interest and think about how your skills and experience align to the project. In advance, write up your answers to the following questions (for each project, if applying for more than one) ready to copy and paste once you begin the form:
• Why are you interested in this project? (150 words maximum)
• What makes you the ideal candidate for this project? For example, what qualities, skills, and experience will you bring to the project? (150 words maximum)
• (Optional) Please use this space to provide any additional information, for example any relevant languages, IT skills, and interests (150 words maximum)
You are encouraged to consider the external projects as well as any projects outside your subject area, which are of interest to you.
Application Deadline: 5pm on Wednesday 9th May 2018.
You will be notified by email of the initial selection decision. Short-listed candidates may be asked to attend an interview (in person or telephone) as part of the selection process.
Successful applicants will be required to meet their project supervisor before the end of Semester Two to discuss the practical details of starting their Placement in summer 2018.
Any questions, please contact: Andrea Denny, Leeds Q Step Placement Coordinator at: email@example.com